Saturday 5 April 2008

Gunung Jerai! - Part 3

Woohoo! its Sunday morning and we're up climbing Gunung Jerai again, that day's plot was done at about the same altitude as the forestry museum around 900m above sea level. vans took us up the mountain like the day before but what different today is the vans dropped us directly at the museum! yay! But we stil have to walk :( but less walking compared to the day before =) There is a trail adjacent to the museum that leads to a recreational park, and just beyond that park is our plot site! Thats how we got there!





At the plot site, we found mushrooms at the ground, moss on rocks and hard surfaces, fungi on tree barks. The wet environment of the forest made it suitable for those types of moss and fungi to grow.
When all is done, we all gathered at the recreational park, as the park is located up on a rocky slope, we get an awesome, panoramic view of what is at the bottom. I saw the flat lands of Kedah, I saw acres after acres of rice fields and I then I clearly know why, Kedah is called 'The Rice Bowl of Malaysia'. And far away into the horizon, towards my left, I saw the Straits of Malacca. We were facing North.



Oh me God! The slope, so.. so.. the steep! One wrong step and bye bye, lol
After having lunch at the park, we went into the museum, the Forestry Museum, bellow is how it looks from the outside.
Structures of the bamboo plant on display
Insects, found in the Malaysian Forest on display
Besides having bamboo and insects for display, the museum displays posters on information of some of Malaysian dipterocarps and other unique trees found in Malaysia, that include Chengal, Merbau, Keruing and many more. However I have only saw a small section of the museum(tree rows of display), the rest of the museum is still under renovation...

And so, we walked out of the museum, waited for the vans to fetch us back to base. Then, as if a white cloud gracefully fell on us, the road became misty. My friends and I being excited tried to catch them, lol

The van came and took us back to base, then my friend and I ate 'ice kacang', after we bid farewell and left Gunung Jerai at 3pm.
This picture is taken as the bus passed the Perak river.
Reached UPM at midnight, that cocluded my Gunung Jerai trip!

No comments: